The definitive history of Western Music.
The definitive survey, combining current scholarship with a vibrant narrative. Carefully informed by feedback from dozens of scholars, it remains the book that students and teachers trust to explain what’s important, where it fits and why it matters. Peter Burkholder weaves a compelling story of people, their choices and the western musical tradition that emerged. From chant to hip-hop, he connects past to present to create a context for tomorrow’s musicians.
PART 1. THE ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL.
1. Music in Antiquity.
2. The Christian Church in the First Millennium.
3. Roman Liturgy and Chant.
4. Song and Dance Music to 1300.
5. Polyphony through the 13C.
6. New Developments in the 14C.
PART 2. THE RENAISSANCE.
7. Music and the Renaissance.
8. England and Burgundy in the 15C.
9. Franco-Flemish Composers, 1450-1520.
10. Madrigal and Secular Song in the 16C.
11. Sacred Music in the Era of the Reformation.
12. The Rise of Instrumental Music.
PART 3. THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY.
13. New Styles in the 17C.
14. The Invention of Opera.
15. Music for Chamber and Church in the Early 17C.
16. France, England, Spain, the New Wolrd, and Russia in the 17C.
17 Italy and Germany in the Late 17C.
PART 4. THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY.
18. The Early 18C in Italy and France.
19. German Composers of the Late Baroque.
20. Musical Taste and Style in the Enlightenment.
21. Opera and Vocal Music in the Early Classic Period.
22. Instrumental Music : Sonata, Symphony, and Concerto.
23, Classic Music in the Late 18C.
PART 5. THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.
24. Revolution and Change.
25. The Romantic Generation : Song and Piano Music.
26. Romanticism in Classical Forms.
27. Romantic Opera and Musical Theater to Midcentury.
28, Opera and Musical Theater in the Later 19C.
29. Late Romanticism in German Msical Culture.
30. Diverging Traditions in the Later 19C.
PART 6. THE TWENTIETH CENTUR.
31. The Early 20C : Vernacular Music.
32. The Early 20C : The classical Tradition.
33. Radical Modernists.
34. Between the World Wars : Jazz, Popular Music.
35. Between the World Wars : The classical Tradition.
36. Postwar Crosscurrents.
37. Postwar Heirs to the Classical Tradition.
38. The Late Twentieth Century.
39. The Twenty-First Century.
J. Peter Burkholder
Donald Jay Grout
Claude V. Palisca