This text teaches students about the historical, geological, physical, chemical and biological characteristics of the ocean environment and includes essays written by several scientists discussing topics in their fields of specialization.
Prologue: The History of Oceanography.
1. The Water Planet.
2. Earth Structure and Plate Tectonics.
3. The Sea Floor and Its Sediments.
4. The Physical Properties of Water.
5. The Chemistry of Seawater.
6. The Atmosphere and the Oceans.
7. Ocean Structure and Circulation.
8. The Waves.
9. The Tides.
10. Coasts, Beaches, and Estuaries.
11. The Living Ocean.
12. The Plankton, Productivity, and Food Webs.
13. The Nekton: Swimmers of the Sea.
14. The Benthos: Living on the Sea Floor.
15. Environmental Issues.
16. The Oceans and Climate Disruption.
Keith A. Sverdrup
(University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)
Raphael M. Kudela
(University of California, Santa Cruz)