Sherri Jackson's straightforward, conversational introduction to statistics presents just what its title promises -- a plain and simple overview of statistics that is clear, concise, and sparing in its use of jargon. Ideal for behavioral sciences majors, STATISTICS PLAIN AND SIMPLE, Fourth Edition, is designed to build students' confidence in understanding, calculating, and interpreting statistics. It instills a strong awareness of the interaction between statistical methods and research methods. It also helps students develop a solid working knowledge of basic statistical cautions in research design, a strong understanding of the concept of significance, and the critical thinking skills necessary to apply these ideas. A modular format presents the material in brief segments that make concepts manageable.
Chapter 1. GETTING STARTED.
1. Science and Statistics.
2. Variables and Measurement.
Chapter 2. DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS I.
3. Organizing Data.
4. Measures of Central Tendency.
Chapter 3. DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS II.
5. Measures of Variation.
6. Standard Scores (z-scores).
Chapter 4. PROBABILITY AND HYPOTHESIS TESTING.
8. Hypothesis Testing and Inferential Statistics.
Chapter 5. THE Z AND T TESTS.
9. The Single-Sample z Test.
10. The Single-Sample t Test.
Chapter 6. TWO-GROUP T TESTS.
11. The t Test for Independent Groups (Samples).
12. The t Test for Correlated Groups (Samples).
Chapter 7. INTRODUCTION TO ANALYSIS OF VARIANCE (ANOVA).
13. Comparing More Than Two Groups.
14. One-Way Randomized Analysis of Variance (ANOVA).
Chapter 8. REPEATED MEASURES AND TWO-FACTOR ANOVAS.
15. One-Way Repeated Measures ANOVA.
16. Using Designs with More Than One Independent Variable.
17. Two-Way Randomized ANOVA.
Chapter 9. CORRELATIONAL PROCEDURES.
18. Correlational Research.
19. Correlation Coefficients.
20. Advanced Correlational Techniques: Regression Analysis.
Chapter 10. NONPARAMETRIC PROCEDURES.
21. Chi-Square Tests.
22. Tests for Ordinal Data.
Appendix A. Statistical Tables.
Appendix B. Answers to Module and Chapter Summary Exercises.
Appendix C. Getting Started with Excel, SPSS, and the TI-84 Calculator.
Appendix D. Computational Supplement.