PSYCHOLOGY: MODULES FOR ACTIVE LEARNING is a best-selling text by renowned author and educator Dennis Coon and co-authors John O. Mitterer and Tanya Martini. This fourteenth edition continues to combine the highly effective SQ4R (Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Reflect, Review) active learning system, an engaging style, appealing visuals, and detailed coverage of core topics and cutting-edge research in one remarkable, comprehensive text. Fully updated and reorganized, the new edition builds on the proven modular format and on the teaching and learning tools integrated throughout the text. While the text provides a broad overview of essential psychology topics ideal for introductory courses, its modular design also readily supports more specialized curricula, allowing instructors to use the self-contained instructional units in any combination and order. Also available: the MindTap digital learning experience.
1. The Psychology of Reflective Studying.
2. Introducing Psychology: Psychology, Critical Thinking, and Science.
3. Introducing Psychology: Psychology Then and Now.
4. Introducing Psychology: The Psychology Experiment.
5. Introducing Psychology: Nonexperimental Research Methods.
6. Introducing Psychology Skills in Action: Information Literacy.
7. Brain and Behavior: The Nervous System.
8. Brain and Behavior: Brain Research.
9. Brain and Behavior: Hemispheres and Lobes of the Cerebral Cortex.
10. Brain and Behavior: The Subcortex and Endocrine System.
11. Brain and Behavior Skills in Action: Self Regulation.
12. Human Development: Heredity and Environment.
13. Human Development: Emotional and Social Development in Childhood.
14. Human Development: Language and Cognitive Development in Childhood.
15. Human Development: Adolescence and Adulthood.
16. Human Development Skills in Action: Behaving Ethically.
17. Sensation and Perception: Sensory Processes.
18. Sensation and Perception: Vision.
19. Sensation and Perception: The Nonvisual Senses.
20. Sensation and Perception: Perceptual Processes.
21. Sensation and Perception: Perception and Objectivity.
22. Sensation and Perception Skills in Action: Communication.
23. Consciousness: States of Consciousness.
24. Consciousness: Sleep and Dreams.
25. Consciousness: Psychoactive Drugs.
26. Consciousness Skills in Action: Metacognition.
27. Conditioning and Learning: Associative and Cognitive Learning.
28. Conditioning and Learning: Classical Conditioning.
29. Conditioning and Learning: Operant Conditioning.
30. Conditioning and Learning: Reinforcement and Punishment in Detail.
31. Conditioning and Learning Skills in Action: Behavioral Self-Management.
32. Memory: Memory Systems.
33. Memory: Measuring Memory.
34. Memory: Forgetting.
35. Memory: Exceptional Memory.
36. Memory Skills in Action: Giving Memorable Presentations.
37. Cognition and Intelligence: Modes of Thought.
38. Cognition and Intelligence: Problem Solving.
39. Cognition and Intelligence: Creative Thinking and Intuition.
40. Cognition and Intelligence: Intelligence.
41. Cognition and Intelligence Skills in Action: Creativity and Innovation.
42. Motivation and Emotion: Overview of Motives and Emotions.
43. Motivation and Emotion: Motivation in Detail.
44. Motivation and Emotion: Emotion in Detail.
45. Motivation and Emotion Skills in Action: Positivity and Optimism.
46. Human Sexuality: Sex and Gender.
47. Human Sexuality: The Human Sex Drive, Response, and Attitudes.
48. Human Sexuality: Sexual Problems.
49. Human Sexuality Skills in Action: Diversity and Inclusion.
50. Personality: Overview of Personality.
51. Personality: Trait Theories.
52. Personality: Psychodynamic and Humanistic Theories.
53. Personality: Behavioral and Social Learning Theories.
54. Personality Skills in Action: Leadership.
55. Health Psychology: Overview of Health Psychology.
56. Health Psychology: Stressors.
57. Health Psychology: Coping with Stress.
58. Health Psychology: Stress and Health.
59. Health Psychology Skills in Action: Stress Management.
60. Psychological Disorders: Defining Psychopathology.
61. Psychological Disorders: Psychotic Disorders.
62. Psychological Disorders: Mood Disorders.
63. Psychological Disorders: Anxiety, Anxiety-Related, and Personality Disorders.
64. Psychological Disorders Skills in Action: Emotional Intelligence.
65. Therapies: Treating Psychological Distress.
66. Therapies: Psychodynamic, Humanistic, and Cognitive Therapies.
67. Therapies: Behavior Therapies.
68. Therapies: Medical Therapies.
69. Therapies in Action: Managing Mental Health Problems.
70. Social Psychology: Social Behavior and Cognition.
71. Social Psychology: Social Influence.
72. Social Psychology: Prosocial Behavior.
73. Social Psychology: Antisocial Behavior.
74. Social Psychology Skills in Action: Teamwork.
75. Applied Psychology: Industrial/Organizational Psychology.
76. Applied Psychology: Environmental Psychology.
77. Applied Psychology: The Psychology of Law, Education, and Sports.
78. Applied Psychology Skills in Action: Career Preparation.
Appendix. Behavioral Statistics.
John O. Mitterer
Tanya S. Martini