In this innovative approach to introductory psychology, John Cacioppo and Laura Freberg present psychology as an integrative science that's relevant for students of all majors. They use a familiar chapter structure to provide an easy roadmap for the course, while highlighting connections within psychology as well as between psychology and other disciplines. The writing and features are smart and engaging, and consistently illustrate the benefit of using multiple perspectives within psychology. The authors offer the best science possible, including exciting new research findings likely to expand students' understanding of psychology as a scientific field of study. Psychology is evolving into an integrative, multidisciplinary field, and this text offers a way to foster a cohesive understanding of psychology as a highly interconnected and relevant hub science.
1. The Science of Mind: The Discipline of Psychology.
2. The Measure of Mind: Methods of Psychology.
3. The Evolving Mind: Nature and Nurture Intertwined.
4. The Biological Mind: The Physical Basis of Behavior.
5. The Perceiving Mind: Sensation and Perception.
6. The Aware Mind: Elements of Consciousness.
7. The Feeling Mind: Emotion and motivation.
8. The Adaptive Mind: Learning.
9. The Knowing Mind: Memory.
10. The Thinking Mind: Thinking, Language, and Intelligence.
11. The Developing Mind: Life Span Development.
12. The Individual Mind: Personality and the Self.
13. The Connected Mind: Social Psychology.
14. The Troubled Mind: Psychological Disorders.
15. Healing the Troubled Mind: Therapy.
16. The Healthy Mind: Stress and Coping, Health Psychology, and Positive Psychology.
John T. Cacioppo
(University of Chicago)
Laura A. Freberg
(California Polytechnic State University)